I've been doing a lot of thinking about Lent lately. Sure I've thought about what to give up (the usuals come to mind--chocolate, goodies, Diet Cokes), but I'm also thinking about what I can DO for Lent. How can I grow closer to Christ by my actions this Lent? So many of us tend to think about Lent strictly as a time of giving up things for a while that we will get back on Easter Sunday. The focus seems to be on just the sacrificial end of things and not so much on our relationship with Christ--well, I know it certainly holds true for me. This Lent I think I'm going to try and do things that will bring me in closer Communion with Jesus. What exactly I'm going to do, I don't know yet. It's something to take to prayer.
Last night Caity had Confirmation class. The topics included how they can and should become more familiar with God's Word. Ways to work it in so that they don't miss a day. Now of course going to daily Mass could do that, but not everyone can make it to daily Mass, and few things can help make Scripture personal more than a Scripture Study.
After class I was talking with Caity's sponsor Beth and we were lamenting how many young Catholics (teens especially) really don't seem to be able to defend their Faith, and when confronted have nothing with which to respond. This makes them very suseptible to being lured away from the Church. What can we as parents do about it? I don't really have any answers for this but would certainly welcome any thoughts you may have.
While Beth and I were talking, we decided to have our daughters (who are best friends) start to study Scripture this Lent. Hopefully it will become a habit that will last far beyond Lent, and hopefully it will help arm them for when there faith is challenged.
Ave Maria!
C.
Thursday, February 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment