Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Haiti Bound

Friends of ours are doing something pretty amazing, they are taking their whole family and moving to Haiti to become full time missionaries. It’s pretty exciting. I know that I wouldn’t have the courage to do something like this (unless God gave it to me!), but we’re all doing everything we can to help Mike and Melinda Pond and their family get what they need when they need it. Ken has been helping them put their web site together and our whole community is going to have a big huge multi-family garage sale so the proceeds can go toward their mission. Have I mentioned that we’re all pretty excited about this?

Ken has in the past mentioned the possibility of us doing some mission work, but in all honesty, I’ve never really heard God calling me in that direction. Well, Ken is going to get his chance to see if he’s called to the missionary life! He is going to go with Mike and Melinda and their family when they leave for Haiti in August. He’ll be able to lend a hand with the kids in the airport and help get things settled when they all get to Haiti. He’s already started his series of vaccines, and he’s got his new passport. It was more than a little stressful having live typhoid virus here, let me tell you. Thankfully that particular series is over.

I’ve never been to Haiti but from the conversations we’ve had about it with Melinda and Mike it sounds like an incredible place with the most wonderful people. I know my kids are very excited at the prospect of visiting the Ponds—especially Allie. I’m really looking forward to going too.

The donation info isn’t up on their site yet, but if you’d like to make any kind of donation you can e-mail me and I can let you know what to do.

Ave Maria!
C.

No comments: