Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Now THIS is a Tabernacle!!


No, I haven’t forgotten how to use blogger. Things here have been going at a frenetic pace and since I received a complaint from the complaint department (ALICE!) I’m here to finish telling everyone about the SOLT Assembly---among other things. ;-)

The Assembly was held on the Our Lady of Corpus Christi College campus. It’s a small college, but it has the most beautiful chapel I’ve ever seen. The photo to the left shows the wall behind the altar (I have more pictures in the photo gallery). The picture just doesn’t do it any justice at all. It’s amazing. The chapel is a perpetual Adoration chapel and you can see at the top there are two angels on either side of the Blessed Sacrament. When Mass is taking place there are doors that slide in front of the monstrance that say “Adoro Te Devote Latens Deitas”. My Latin is horrible so I’m not sure of the exact translation—or a partial one for that matter.

The Assembly was really wonderful. There were at least 50 priests there and at least as many sisters there as well. Mary had a great time with the sisters. We walked into the dining hall that first day and she let go of my hand went over to the sisters and that was pretty much the last I saw of her for the week. I can’t tell you how many times I would be talking with a sister and I’d hear, “Oh! You’re Mary’s mother.”. Mary would go get her food and then go sit with a group of sisters. It was very cute. Brigid and Rachel were into playing with the other little kids there (most often it was with the Ponds’ littlest ones).

The best part was the sense of family. Even though Ken and I had never been to an Assembly before, it felt like a family reunion. We were immediately accepted and treated like we belonged there and that everyone was happy to see us. From Fr. Flanagan (who I was able to meet very briefly) all the way to the other lay families there, it was comfortable and relaxed.

Caity, Allie and Brian met and hung out with some other teens that were there, and all of them got together and did a couple of skits for the talent show. There really was something for everyone in our family there.

Next year SOLT is celebrating its 50th Anniversary, and we aren’t going to miss that one for the world!

Don’t forget to check out the pictures in the photo gallery--I've put in a TON of new ones.
Ave Maria!
C.

2 comments:

Therese said...

Wow. It sounds like such a lovely asembly.

Therese said...

I love the tabernacle also. I wish we had a church like that around here.

I have nominated you for a nice matters award. See my blog for details.

Therese