Sunday, March 12, 2006

Broken Bones and Beaches



This past Wednesday evening, Ken and I were scheduled to go to Florida for some R and R. This past Monday, Mary and Brian were playing and to make a long story short, they both fell and Mary hurt her hand. I looked at it, there was no bruising, and she could make a fist so I figured she was okay. Tuesday morning, she wakes up and is upset because her finger hurts. Mary has a superhuman threshold for pain, so when she says something hurts, we all sit up and take notice. We go to the doctor, then we have to take her to the hospital to get an x-ray, but, they can’t tell us what the x-ray says until the next day. So, Wednesday comes, we are trying to make sure everything is ready for our trip and we get a call in the morning from the dr’s office that says Mary has broken her finger and that we need to take her to the orthopedic dr. Great—we have a 7pm flight and we have to find a way to get Mary to a specialist first.

I called the same orthopedist that took care of Ken’s back and threw myself on their mercy. I asked if they had anything available and they gave us 1:45pm. So Ken takes Mary to the dr. and I’m desperately trying to make dinners so Mom won’t have to cook and wash clothes, and clean up and pack for me and the baby. Well, thanks be to God, we got everything taken care of. Mary has what is called a buckle fracture. Basically she broke the bone at the very base of her finger, right against her hand and all they could do is put a splint on it. So everyone/everything is taken care of and we set off for the airport.

Rachel held up pretty well on the plane overall. She cried for about the first 20 min, but after that fell asleep. I don’t think that Ken and I felt like this getaway was really going to happen until we touched down in Florida.

The beach was just incredible. There really is nothing like the ocean to relax and rejuvenate you. We spent our time either reading on the beach, or walking on the beach. We were able to talk to each other without constant interruption and we were able to sleep. We actually took naps while we were there! That’s something that Ken and I just don’t do.

Thanks again to Mom who made all this possible, and if that wasn’t enough, she said to me when I got back, “you two should go away every couple of months or so.” Okay Mom, if you insist! :-)

I’ve put some pictures of our trip in the photo gallery. I put a few up so to see them all you'll have to go to page two.

Ave Maria!
C.

No comments: